What is the one thing that people notice when they walk through your door? How it smells! There is an easy way to create different atmospheres by using candles. Candles are one of the most versatile home decor items you can find. Here are things to think about when using candles.
1. You have the power to set the mood. Light some tealights around a bathtub and you get more of a relaxing feeling. Add some tapered candles at dinner and suddenly it’s more romantic. Put a candle in pumpkin and you’ve got that spooky feeling. Put candles on a cake and now its a celebration. What other home decor can create so many different moods.
2. Bring them back to baking cookies at Grandmas. You catch a whiff of pumpkin pie, school glue, newspaper, or fresh-cut grass and suddenly you’re immersed in a flurry of vivid memories, often from your childhood. The sense of smell is closely linked with memory, so you can take people back to that moment when they were younger and baking cookies with Grandma in an instant. What emotions do you want your home to evoke?
3. Think about your room size. Smaller spaces, like powder rooms or bathrooms, require a lightly scented candle as opposed to a candle with a very strong smell. As with unpleasant odors, strong smells can be overpowering in an enclosed space, especially if there is little ventilation.
4. Use the last bit as a wax melt.
5. Repurpose your glass. After you have completed burning the entire candle or tin, it may be cleaned out for re-use. Wipe out any excess wax residue and compost or discard. Do not pour excess wax down your drain. You may place the candle in a warm oven (150 degrees or lower) to melt the leftover wax for easy removal. Clean out the glass or tin with warm soapy water. The wick can be removed and the metal wick holder can be recycled with other tin items.